Tyre age
Hi all!  

How old is too old for tyres?  Is there such a thing?  I have some tyres fitted that were produced 10 years ago but always stored inside and pumped up.  They look fine and seem to grip...but then I read that you have to bin them after 5 years?!  Seems a bit mad!

Cheers! Smile
The law is that retailers can not sell tyres over 5 years old.
Tyres do go hard with age and will often crack around the edges, and personally, I wouldn`t be happy riding on something that old.
If you only ride on dry roads then you will probably be OK.
As the tyre is the only contact with the road, we need all the grip we can get, and I wouldn`t trust something that old.
Shame that the price of tyres has gone mad recently. Get the best you can afford.
I had the same issue had a nice trail wing on the front of the bike that looked barely used but was 10 years old as my bike had sat in bits for the best part of that. Forgot to say I replaced it with a Mitas as wasn't happy riding on it. Also not just the tyre the tube inside was just as old.
Yeah point taken! New tyres it is...they have got expensive havent they?!
Oponeo are probably the cheapest and most reliable. I had no end of grief from Mytyres.
I use Anakee 3 as they grip well and give very good mileage.
However, we all have different preferences so go with whatever you are happy with.
Avoid Ebay, as that is where dealers flog off old stock so you will be back at square one.
Yeah sorry Bob...disclaimer...this was for my better half's little Monster 600 which lives in the shed. I fancied getting it out for the summer. Turns out the front tyre is from 2002!!!! New set going on monday...

I have Conti Trail Attack 2's on the BIG. 15000km and still look good. Road only though! Not sure why they are called that. Also agree that tyres are like lube oil or ale...everyone has their favourite!
(19-05-2022, 10:41 AM)jamminbmx Wrote: Yeah sorry Bob...disclaimer...this was for my better half's little Monster 600 which lives in the shed.  I fancied getting it out for the summer.  Turns out the front tyre is from 2002!!!!  New set going on monday...

I have Conti Trail Attack 2's on the BIG.  15000km and still look good.  Road only though!  Not sure why they are called that.  Also agree that tyres are like lube oil or ale...everyone has their favourite!

15000km??!!

I don't know how people manage these mega mileages - I never get anywhere near. Too soon to tell on the Big, but on my fazers (600 first, 1000 now) I'm lucky if I get 4.5-5k miles out of a set of Michelin PilotRoads - 4-4.5 is more usual and I tend to wear fronts and rears fairly equally (I don't mind running the rear a bit thin, but I want the front to work 100% in the rain).

I have fun, not always strictly legally, but I'm hardly a knee down merchant either.
I have no idea.  I'm a pretty relaxed rider and only on good tarmac...but am also surprised at these tyres!  They just don't wear Smile

With TKC80's or other semi-offroad tyres I got 3-4000 kms...
(20-05-2022, 10:57 AM)jamminbmx Wrote: With TKC80's or other semi-offroad tyres I got 3-4000 kms...

Well that's a relief, I thought I must have turned into a hooligan in middle age!
As a follow up my 15k km trail attack 2 tyres started cracking. Got some new Trail Attack 3’s fitted today!!