Need to check the wiring
Have had a bit of an intermittent starting issue lately that I think is just down to me needing to sort out the wiring under the beak, sometimes the starter button is dead and it tends to happen on cold damp mornings.  I think I had the issue before and it was the connection on the green wire, I fixed it with crimp connectors but really need to do a better job.

Today I had a nice bimble along the coast and came back and gave the bike a wash as I noticed a bit of salt on the rims from last weekend. Decided to go back out again started the bike but as I got on it the engine died and wouldn't start.  Was doing thing where it turns over once sounds like its gonna fire but then had a metallic bang/clunk from the engine.  Finally got it going again revved it up and went on my way but just coming out of my road an electric scooter shot across the pavement in front of me and I stalled the bike doing an emergency stop!  Again couldn't start the bike engine turning over but as soon as it was about to start I get that clunk/bang from the engine.  Eventually after playing with the choke and massaging switches and side stand it starts.  I made sure it wasn't a fluke and went on my way.

Does that bang mean that my starter clutch is on the way out?  It gives me jip sometimes starting and once but only once I swear my starter turned and and didn't turn the engine but that was a while ago and its been fine since?.
I think it must be a loose connection as my starter wont just keep cranking. It goes for so many seconds and them cuts out.
Does that bang mean that my starter clutch is on the way out?

Yep, looks that way. £414 from those robbing kuntz at Suzuki
The following 1 user says Thank You to BigBob for this post:
  • GrahamW
(21-02-2021, 10:25 AM)BigBob Wrote: Does that bang mean that my starter clutch is on the way out?

Yep, looks that way. £414 from those robbing kuntz at Suzuki

Oh no Bob you are normally the harbinger of doom for my DR! Wink  Maybe I will try replacing just the bearing part as have seen that for sale on its own, either that will check the price at megazip.  I think problems are being exasperated by a wiring issue, I think I need to bypass the clutch and decomp switches as my starter cuts out as soon as the engine fires and is generally intermittent.  Normally on a bike the starter will keep cranking as long as the button is pressed and even if the engine is running.  I bet the decomp switch is killing the starter as soon as the engine fires the first time.

What happens when the starter clutch goes does it just get worse and worse and then give up completely?

To be fair though its always banged like that when stalling since I have had it and still going.
Well have found what is causing the immediate issue, really manky wiring on the clutch switch. The green wire turns out to be a bit of green wire soldered onto the switch wiring going to the connector. Have bypassed the decomp and clutch switch and am getting decent cranking that can continue when the engine starts to fire.

Going to solder the wires properly and then cut the cables from the switched off and tape them up.
I just removed the switches and cables in the end so a bit tidier now as well. Smile. I am not getting any stalling and banging now when trying to start the bike.
(23-02-2021, 12:43 PM)GrahamW Wrote: Well have found what is causing the immediate issue, really manky wiring on the clutch switch. The green wire turns out to be a bit of green wire soldered onto the switch wiring going to the connector. Have bypassed the decomp and clutch switch and am getting decent cranking that can continue when the engine starts to fire.

Going to solder the wires properly and then cut the cables from the switched off and tape them up.

(23-02-2021, 06:45 PM)GrahamW Wrote: I just removed the switches and cables in the end so a bit tidier now as well. Smile. I am not getting any stalling and banging now when trying to start the bike.

Well found, and a simple (free) fix - what's not to like?