Chain issue
The blue dr is getting a bit of a lift and whilst dickin around with it I notice the chain is suspect. Well at least to me it is as every link is gone very tight. Tight enough that I'm unhappy to run it. Compared to other 530 on the blackbird (factory chain and sprockets) it's markedly tight. 
The bike has stood for various amounts of time whilst we were in kiddie land but was always oiled and has zero rust. I was not like that when fitted so I'm at a loss. I've used scotoil in my tutoro oiler and only cleaned it once yrs back with wd40 sprayed on a rag and given it a wipe.

It's the Bob 530 conversion 15 tooth gt380 front and gsxr11? 47 rear. I'm picky about chains so I bought quality back then 10 yrs ago. She's done about 5k miles (I know lol) and needed adjusting literally once as its strong out.
Can chains go off like that? 

Ordered the 520zvmx and 15 48 as I prefer the feel of it on the red one which is a shade happier at lower speeds.
That is strange, given that you have lubed it as well. Maybe the O rings have gone hard? That may cause it to tighten up. Must check my chain on the 750 as I haven't ridden it for some time.
(06-08-2020, 11:13 PM)nug Wrote: That is strange, given that you have lubed it as well. Maybe the O rings have gone hard? That may cause it to tighten up. Must check my chain on the 750 as I haven't ridden it for some time.
Has me scratching my head too. Honestly if you caught the lower run of the chain in both hands you can bend it and it stays bent its that tight. As you cycle the chain past the sprocket some are still kinked. Worst affected is the soft link which was never that way before! I knew this for sure as I checked it for the same freeplay as others. Got slathered with grease during assembly too.
Anyway the thoughts of a 530 smashing into Dave#22's hard work is enough to justify the decision to swap em.
[Image: IMG-20200803-151735.jpg]
Changed the cush, makes a huge difference imo.
I`ve had it happen to me too. I just think the lube dries out and goes hard and atmospheric moisture gets in and the pins eventually seize up.
You can rescue the chain though, when it happened to me I waited until I was doing an oil change and dumped the seized chain  in the old oil while it was still hot and left it a couple of days. I then set to work on each individual link, moving back and forth until they were all free. iirc I got about 25k trouble free miles out of it.
Bloody awful oily mess I made while doing it though.
The joining link is always the weak point as we always seem to rivet it up too tight and no lube can get in and they invariably go stiff first. 
For that reason I`ve been using a clip link on my Bigs for many years without an issue. Not sure about using one on your `Bird though due to the extra 90 bhp.
(07-08-2020, 10:04 AM)BigBob Wrote: I`ve had it happen to me too. I just think the lube dries out and goes hard and atmospheric moisture gets in and the pins eventually seize up.
You can rescue the chain though, when it happened to me I waited until I was doing an oil change and dumped the seized chain  in the old oil while it was still hot and left it a couple of days. I then set to work on each individual link, moving back and forth until they were all free. iirc I got about 25k trouble free miles out of it.
Bloody awful oily mess I made while doing it though.
The joining link is always the weak point as we always seem to rivet it up too tight and no lube can get in and they invariably go stiff first. 
For that reason I`ve been using a clip link on my Bigs for many years without an issue. Not sure about using one on your `Bird though due to the extra 90 bhp.

I'll hang onto the sprockets and see if I can rejuvenate the chain as you describe. It really is very stiff but as I say one adjustment so far!! Be good to keep as spare.
Seem to remember old chains boiled in oil in being a thing once? 

I've went with the stock set up
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DR750S...b90ae7dfb8
From what I hear about this generation of chain it should perform better than 520's of old. Time will tell. 

BTW anyone considering how to smarten up the gear shifting and throttle transition from closed do your cush, night and day. 
Seem to remember old chains boiled in oil in being a thing once? 

That was before O ring chains. Can`t do it now
(07-08-2020, 02:04 PM)BigBob Wrote: Seem to remember old chains boiled in oil in being a thing once? 

That was before O ring chains. Can`t do it now
Aaah, the wonderful smell of chain bake.....
I remember chain oil baths.......the good old days.......not.
Rob from Dartmoor.
[Image: IMG-20200814-182910.jpg]
Grrrr Sad this annoyed the shyte out of me. 

[Image: IMG-20200818-210306.jpg]
Mmmm Smile this fixed the annoyance. 

[Image: IMG-20200816-113648.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200816-115327.jpg]
Still no pops of bead seating?? 

[Image: IMG-20200816-115444.jpg]
Think it's seated tho 

[Image: IMG-20200820-112019.jpg]
No power tools as storm whatever took out the leccy, out with the file so. 

[Image: IMG-20200819-191946.jpg]
Pulled the wilbers springs for softer option. 

[Image: IMG-20200820-143543.jpg]
Lowered the rear ride height to stock. 
Bike feels better, I prefer the standard gearing as I'm not on motorways much if at all. The 520 setup was 768g lighter than the 530 and you can really feel it. 
Pulled the pannier racks off too makes a diff I reckon she feels livelier. Tourance waay lighter than the anakee 2, rear alone 400g lighter.
Hard to tell which part of the tube was punctured but that looks a lot like a spoke nipple hole.

I’ve gone to high temp duct tape (yes there is such a thing) and binned my rubber rim strips. Seems to work well.

Interestingly, when I mount a tire using this I never see soapy bubbles bleeding out through the spoke holes any more so the tape does have some sealing property. I’m thinking that this might slow down air escape in the moments just after a puncture (at least until the bead comes away) and may give me a bit more time to notice and react. Whistling in the dark?