Engine bar mystery..
Bit of a curious one this, the bars that came on the bike don't have a lower fixing - there are tabs there, but they don't match up with anything on the bike. The top fixing isn't quite what I would have done myself but seems sound enough (I don't like the long section of flat bar, but maybe this is necessary for front wheel clearance??)

Am I missing something? The lower mount might (just) line up with the lower bolt on the engine mount, but that would mean a long extension to that bolt which doesn't seem very sound to me. I can fix the problem, but before I start chopping and welding I thought I'd ask the experts.

There were (scant) remains of white powdercoat on the bars which makes me think they are oem, maybe just not for this bike?

[Image: IMG-20200614-162611.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200614-162500.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200614-162531.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200614-162553.jpg]
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=suzuki+dr+800+engine+bars&LH_PrefLoc=1&_ftrt=901&_sop=10&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&_osacat=10063&_ipg=50&_ftrv=1&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=suzuki+dr+800+crash+bars&_sacat=10063
The following 1 user says Thank You to BigBob for this post:
  • Dbldutch
(16-06-2020, 09:53 AM)BigBob Wrote: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=suzuki+dr+800+engine+bars&LH_PrefLoc=1&_ftrt=901&_sop=10&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&_osacat=10063&_ipg=50&_ftrv=1&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=suzuki+dr+800+crash+bars&_sacat=10063

Thanks for that Bob, I can't quite believe that bottom fixing on such a long thin bolt is legit - it's an obvious weak spot, and would be a right pain to remove if (when) it bent Undecided

I'll get the welder out
I`ve got RD Moto bars on my SR43 same as you, though my bottom fixing is much more secure as  it utilises the bottom engine mounting.
Maybe they have now changed the design?
(16-06-2020, 02:46 PM)BigBob Wrote: I`ve got RD Moto bars on my SR43 same as you, though my bottom fixing is much more secure as  it utilises the bottom engine mounting.
Maybe they have now changed the design?

I know it's a sod of a spot to get to with a camera, but any chance of a picture of yours? At the moment I'm thinking either a (polyethylene? aluminium?) extension block (instead of their single tube) to take all three engine mount bolts, or flat bars like the top mount fixed to the vertical frame tube at the front (really easy to do, but means drilling the frame)
Clearly you have a slightly different design set of bars to mine.
Mine are like this  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suzuki-Moto-Cra...B0797TMZVW  where the bottom tubes are just a push fit  into the mounting bracket which is bolted to the bottom engine mount.
I never thought just a push fit mounting was a terribly rigorous bit of engineering, even though the top mount looks pretty strong.
I`ve not thrown the bike up the road to test out the integrity of the crash bars, and I`ll leave it that way, thanks.
Looks like you`ll have to be inventive ...
(16-06-2020, 10:38 PM)BigBob Wrote: Clearly you have a slightly different design set of bars to mine.
Mine are like this  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suzuki-Moto-Cra...B0797TMZVW  where the bottom tubes are just a push fit  into the mounting bracket which is bolted to the bottom engine mount.
I never thought just a push fit mounting was a terribly rigorous bit of engineering, even though the top mount looks pretty strong.
I`ve not thrown the bike up the road to test out the integrity of the crash bars, and I`ll leave it that way, thanks.
Looks like you`ll have to be inventive ...

Ah, light starts to dawn in the vast vacuum between my ears. The position of my bars might be too high - not allowing the tabs to go in the "Y" of the frame to get close to the engine mount, maybe. I shall have another play with them on the weekend, it might not be quite the ache in the nethers that it looks like.

Re the pushfit, I totally agree, I never really trust them, but I guess in this application the force is mostly towards the centre if you bin it. It does make me think that a connection between the lower bars, like yours have, would add more stability to the whole construction and destress the engine mount.

Thanks for the help so far, I'll keep you posted.
Hi,
Hey all I am after a set of the Engine bars, looking on the EBay site for them they are all the same product ,they vary slightly in price and the country of origin....Help? Or am I missing something?
Cheers.
(18-06-2020, 05:40 PM)Nnotags Wrote: Hi,
  Hey all I am after a set of the Engine bars, looking on the EBay site for them they are all the same product ,they vary slightly in price and the country of origin....Help? Or am I missing something?
  Cheers.

The two links Bob posted (Ebay and Amazon) are for quite different bars?

These are different again (with an even weaker top attachment): linky
Second-hand set here: linky

**Edit** - I can see where it's confusing - there are loads of listings for the same bars, from the same seller. They vary only in that they give different years of bike, and the choice of white or black (although the pictures are all of the black ones!). What IS interesting is that the ones on Ebay are all model CF31KD (black) and CF31W (white), while the (imo better) ones on Amazon are model CF01KD (black), presumably white ones are CF01W
So, after an abortive attempt buying ones with attachments I actually liked, but didn't fit round the plastics (for the SR41 I think, I'll put them in the for sale section when I have a minute) I decided to get busy bending the old ones back into shape and doing a bit of welding.

Here's what I've ended up making, and it's pretty solid:

[Image: IMG-20200913-140614.jpg]

I've changed lights and indicators too, tidied up the rear, and mocked up some decals, and the DVLA finally went back to work and gave me a numberplate, so the bike now looks like this:

[Image: IMG-20200913-140909.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20200913-140554.jpg]

Still plenty to do, but I'm pretty chuffed with the progress Smile