1988 DR750 Big rebuild
Hello Smile

I have just acquired a DR750 Big. The bike was on the Channel Islands although I am not sure this is were it originated.

I have rebuilt a few bikes now including my first bike a GSF600 bandit and a BWM F650ST

Anyway back to the BIG. The bike is a non runner and has covered 17000 miles in its 30 years, This appears to be genuine as overall it is in good condition for its age and the type of bike.

It would appear that it has suffered from being turned off and catching the compression stroke. This has spat all the starter gears out destroying the cover and crankcase.

I have sourced a pair of crank cases, a NOS stator cover, and some replacement gears and pins. 

The engine is out and stripped and using the technical data from a Suzuki manual it all appears to be good and well within tolerance with further indicates the 17000miles as true.

I plan to get the engine rebuilt and running and then consider what to do cosmetically with the rest of the bike.

obviously from checking through the forum original paint/colour is out of the question. I need to decide what to do with the engine colour before I rebuild it as the flaky blue paint wont do.

So thats a little bit of introduction for now anyway.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3TzqXDw4kVHspHh8
The following 1 user says Thank You to dougiehowser for this post:
  • DRat
Ouch! That made a real mess of the cases etc. You are not the first either.
Definitely replace the crank bearings. The first model used a decideldy inferior bearing on one side that was uprated for the following year.
The bearing rarely fails but makes one hell of a racket and sounds like the big end is about to go.
You will probably end up replacing the starter clutch as well as it was probably the cause of the failure.
No doubt you will be asking all the questions we have been asked many times. Not to worry as we know all the answers.
Definitely get the genuine manual. RTFM.
(13-06-2020, 07:45 PM)BigBob Wrote: Ouch! That made a real mess of the cases etc. You are not the first either.
Definitely replace the crank bearings. The first model used a decideldy inferior bearing on one side that was uprated for the following year.
The bearing rarely fails but makes one hell of a racket and sounds like the big end is about to go.
You will probably end up replacing the starter clutch as well as it was probably the cause of the failure.
No doubt you will be asking all the questions we have been asked many times. Not to worry as we know all the answers.
Definitely get the genuine manual. RTFM.

I had to google RTFM - and ended up ROFL, I've always been more TIAASIICFOHTPIBTA* Smile

I'm definitely no expert, but other than the obvious horrors she looks great, nothing some tlc won't sort out

*take it apart and see if I can figure out how to put it back together again
Great to see another one being rescued! Keep us updated with a steady diet of picsSmile
There was a Dr750 owning member here who lived in Guernsey was it? Rick Le Ray? Maybe he can shed some light on the bikes history for you?
And here’s the most important part......

Once you get it running again - Shut the engine off with the decomp lever ONLY.

Do NOT turn the ignition off either with the handlebar switch or the key.

Ignoring this will have you replacing starter gears again.
(13-06-2020, 12:14 PM)dougiehowser Wrote: Hello Smile

I have just acquired a DR750 Big. The bike was on the Channel Islands although I am not sure this is were it originated.

I have rebuilt a few bikes now including my first bike a GSF600 bandit and a BWM F650ST

Anyway back to the BIG. The bike is a non runner and has covered 17000 miles in its 30 years, This appears to be genuine as overall it is in good condition for its age and the type of bike.

It would appear that it has suffered from being turned off and catching the compression stroke. This has spat all the starter gears out destroying the cover and crankcase.

I have sourced a pair of crank cases, a NOS stator cover, and some replacement gears and pins. 

The engine is out and stripped and using the technical data from a Suzuki manual it all appears to be good and well within tolerance with further indicates the 17000miles as true.

I plan to get the engine rebuilt and running and then consider what to do cosmetically with the rest of the bike.

obviously from checking through the forum original paint/colour is out of the question. I need to decide what to do with the engine colour before I rebuild it as the flaky blue paint wont do.

So thats a little bit of introduction for now anyway.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3TzqXDw4kVHspHh8
I probably have all the parts you need , looks like you are already sorted
Any progress on the DR Doctor Howser? Smile