Km/h to Mph clock conversion - tick!
First proper post, so I hope the pics work and it's not too garbled.

Riding the bike back to Wales, way back in February, it was obvious it needed more skill and time to sort than I had available, so I shipped her straight off to my mechanic. His job was to weld the tank, rebuild the carbs, replace front wheel bearings and rebuild the rear caliper - plenty to be getting on with. He didn't seem very interested in the speedo, so I thought I'd just quietly get on with that myself - fiddly little job, just my kind of thing.

Someone suggested DR650 clocks might do the trick, but when I got some they were so different that I decided it was easier to just make a new face for the existing clock.

I scanned the original face, then after a bit of maths overwrote the scan bit by bit using the ancient graphics program I "borrowed" back in 1998. Searched for ages for the right font for the text, which is a pretty close match, but messed up a bit on the font for the numbers - it's close, but not quite narrow enough, too square, and a little too bold. I didn't notice until I was 3/4 way through Dodgy 

As I didn't change the gearing to the clock the odo will still read in km, like so:

[Image: 1_speedo_mph_sml.jpg]

After a test print to check it printed at real size, I (laser)printed it onto some matt stencilling plastic I've had lying around for years. Slightly to my surprise that worked just fine. Almost perfectly even and smudge free. Luckily I printed 6 to a sheet, I lost one to the fiddle of cutting it out, and a second later with a glue disaster Sad 

Here's how it compares to the original;

[Image: 2_old_v_new.jpg]

You can see that the original "white" isn't actually white - I don't really understand this, as it definitely is when seen from behind. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and slightly hoped that adding the background colour might sort it out (it didn't).

The background was a bit of a faff - I tried three different colours of acetate before i got a decent match by combining two, like so;

[Image: 3_acetate_colour.jpg]

The laser printed black wasn't dark enough to stop light shining through it, but a little time with a sharpie on the back surface sorted that out (drawing around the reversed out bits). Used the sharpie on the cut edges too, so they didn't show white.

I then polished the original face off it's base and attempted to glue base -> acetate -> acetate -> new face

I learned the hard way that:
a) the colour comes off one side of acetate with solvent based glue
b) sharpie ink ditto
c) bugger all sticks to the other side of the acetate
d) you now have a horrible mess on your hands
e) this is a good time to start again

After some rather messy experimentation I discovered (much to my surprise) that roll on pritt stick is the only thing I own that works - a little warmth and pressure made it perfectly secure, and it was easy peasy.

The only other issue I had was with the needle rest. I couldn't get it to sit right after I'd wiggled it out, and then damaged it trying to seat it properly. A veneer pin suitably shortened and painted sorted that out. If I had to do it again I would drill the (splayed) back off the pin and glue it back into place afterwards.

Reassembly was simple enough, and I sprayed the clock surround satin black because the aluminium was distracting (and looked dated) when looking down at the clocks.

Finished result:

[Image: 4_finished_prod.jpg]

I'm pretty chuffed with it. It's nowhere near perfect - the font of the numbers annoys me a bit, and the "not quite white", but not enough to start again straight away - maybe when I'm snowed in some day

Bike's back from the mechanic, and running sweet as a nut, now just hoping someone will turn up for work at the dvla and give me v5 so I can go and have some fun on the old beast Big Grin
That's remarkable work, very neat job. Well done.
Rob from Dartmoor.
(09-06-2020, 02:22 AM)Dbldutch Wrote: First proper post, so I hope the pics work and it's not too garbled.

Riding the bike back to Wales, way back in February, it was obvious it needed more skill and time to sort than I had available, so I shipped her straight off to my mechanic. His job was to weld the tank, rebuild the carbs, replace front wheel bearings and rebuild the rear caliper - plenty to be getting on with. He didn't seem very interested in the speedo, so I thought I'd just quietly get on with that myself - fiddly little job, just my kind of thing.

Someone suggested DR650 clocks might do the trick, but when I got some they were so different that I decided it was easier to just make a new face for the existing clock.

I scanned the original face, then after a bit of maths overwrote the scan bit by bit using the ancient graphics program I "borrowed" back in 1998. Searched for ages for the right font for the text, which is a pretty close match, but messed up a bit on the font for the numbers - it's close, but not quite narrow enough, too square, and a little too bold. I didn't notice until I was 3/4 way through Dodgy 

As I didn't change the gearing to the clock the odo will still read in km, like so:

[Image: 1_speedo_mph_sml.jpg]

After a test print to check it printed at real size, I (laser)printed it onto some matt stencilling plastic I've had lying around for years. Slightly to my surprise that worked just fine. Almost perfectly even and smudge free. Luckily I printed 6 to a sheet, I lost one to the fiddle of cutting it out, and a second later with a glue disaster Sad 

Here's how it compares to the original;

[Image: 2_old_v_new.jpg]

You can see that the original "white" isn't actually white - I don't really understand this, as it definitely is when seen from behind. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, and slightly hoped that adding the background colour might sort it out (it didn't).

The background was a bit of a faff - I tried three different colours of acetate before i got a decent match by combining two, like so;

[Image: 3_acetate_colour.jpg]

The laser printed black wasn't dark enough to stop light shining through it, but a little time with a sharpie on the back surface sorted that out (drawing around the reversed out bits). Used the sharpie on the cut edges too, so they didn't show white.

I then polished the original face off it's base and attempted to glue base -> acetate -> acetate -> new face

I learned the hard way that:
a) the colour comes off one side of acetate with solvent based glue
b) sharpie ink ditto
c) bugger all sticks to the other side of the acetate
d) you now have a horrible mess on your hands
e) this is a good time to start again

After some rather messy experimentation I discovered (much to my surprise) that roll on pritt stick is the only thing I own that works - a little warmth and pressure made it perfectly secure, and it was easy peasy.

The only other issue I had was with the needle rest. I couldn't get it to sit right after I'd wiggled it out, and then damaged it trying to seat it properly. A veneer pin suitably shortened and painted sorted that out. If I had to do it again I would drill the (splayed) back off the pin and glue it back into place afterwards.

Reassembly was simple enough, and I sprayed the clock surround satin black because the aluminium was distracting (and looked dated) when looking down at the clocks.

Finished result:

[Image: 4_finished_prod.jpg]

I'm pretty chuffed with it. It's nowhere near perfect - the font of the numbers annoys me a bit, and the "not quite white", but not enough to start again straight away - maybe when I'm snowed in some day

Bike's back from the mechanic, and running sweet as a nut, now just hoping someone will turn up for work at the dvla and give me v5 so I can go and have some fun on the old beast Big Grin

Hi ,
Great job you must be very dexterous!,and very patient.
Cheers.
Better than new, a finnikey job no doubt that's been done well. Any time I have the clock shroud off I wince and slowly put it back on and say "dont wanna go in there" Big Grin
Any pics of the bike after the works?
(09-06-2020, 10:24 AM)H_Lime Wrote: Better than new, a finnikey job no doubt that's been done well. Any time I have the clock shroud off I wince and slowly put it back on and say "dont wanna go in there" Big Grin
Any pics of the bike after the works?

Finnikey for sure - but indoors and dry during the wet season Smile

I stupidly didn't take any "before" pics - just your average well used '96, a bit rough round the edges but basically sound. 

Here are the clocks on the bike (bad photo, it was sunny, I'm not complaining). It does show the lovely rusty bars, and the tiredness of the whole area. Nothing I can't tidy up though.

[Image: 5_on_bike.jpg]

First thing I had to do was remove the delightfully '90s pink and yellow hotrod flames and decals. Not sure what I'll put in their place, but not a lot.

Engine bars have come off to be cleaned up, repaired and repainted when I have a minute. I also need to sort out some kind of fixing for the bottom bar which just sort of floats in space - I'll take some pics when I have them to hand and stick it in a separate thread, it's a little baffling.

In line with the engine bars (and surrounding area) the sumpguard had been smothered in satin black - with zero prep done - so a proper mess. I've sanded it back to the plastic, and sanded out the crackling. Not sure if I can polish it back to a shine, or whether I'm better off just spraying it - advice appreciated.

Only other thing done was to polish the blueing out of the exhaust - running it from Harwich to Abergavenny on essentially one carb meant it was lean, lean, lean - so the exhaust was a right sight Sad  It's come up well, but it is biblically loud.
I'll have a look at the header next, which looks as if it's much neglected stainless too.

Pics of how she stands now

[Image: destickered1.jpg]
[Image: destickered2.jpg]

Plenty of proper stuff to do, but next on the list is de-wrinkling the fork gaiters - they look a bit Nora Batty at the moment, and I am no Compo!

BTW, what have you people done about the front fender? It seems a bit OTT long to me, and has an odd profile. Have people trimmed theirs? Or is there a suitable donor of a shorter one?