Hi from SA (and 750 rebuild)
Hi All

Just picked up my first DR BIG! An 88 750. I'd been looking to upgrade from my DR350 to something a bit bigger but just couldn't find anything I really liked. Was seriously considering a 650GS Dakar but although it does everything well it just didn't have enough character for me. Then I test rode the 750 and I was sold! What a great bike.

The bike is a bit tatty but not too bad but with a colour scheme I couldn't live with! I toyed with the idea of just spraying the tanks and plastics as time and finances are tight, but 5 minutes into stripping those things from the bike I knew I couldn't just stop there. So tonight I'm starting to strip the bike completely. Monday hopefully the frame and some bits and pieces will go in to be sandblasted and the motor will be beadblasted. While it's apart I'll obviously replace all the bearings and rebuild the brakes. The motor seems fine but I'll check it out properly once it's out. I'm going to be working on a tight budget and timeframe but I'll do the best I can and not take shortcuts with the important things. I know my way around the garage and have restored some classic cars but this will be my first bike rebuild so brace yourselves for some noob questions!

Cheers
Ian

Attached File(s) Image(s)

All the easy bits done.

Welcome to the forum. Good choice with the BIG Thumbup
Keep us posted with pics & info.
At last! Another BIG in SA..... Was starting to feel lonely, Welcome. Smile I trust the weather a bit better in the EC than in the WC, nearly had a swimming session the other morning, had to compete with 4x4's going through some deep water....
Thanks. Hey Chris, I'm finding BIGs are a bit thin on the ground here in SA too.

Everything is in little pieces. Pretty straight forward and no nasty surprises. In fact most things looked better than I expected. Only issue I found is a badly worn bearing in the clutch. No damage to the disc though. I suppose this bearing is Suzuki only?

Ian

Awwww. You're going to get rid of that fancy airbrush.

Very John Player. Maybe you could get the F1 car to match.

[Image: 4925333867_aef4edd989_z_zpsbbe1ba71.jpg]

Can't say I like it much either but they appear to have done a pretty good job.....right up until they left the blue fork gaiters in place....oh well.
My thoughts exactly. Somehow doesn't have the same appeal as a John Player Special F1 Lotus though. That someone could expend so much effort to produce something so hideous. Banghead The blue fork gaitors are an especially nice touch though. Big Grin

Yesterdays progress was slower and less fun. Spent cleaning everything. On my way now to the sand blasters. Hope they don't take too long. I want to start painting!
Fixed. Thumbup

Nice wheels!

I'm always astonished by how much space a disassembled motorcycle can occupy.

Looking forward to the new turquoise and lime green paint combo :o
I was thinking more lime green and pink.

Ladder I've enjoyed your posts and seeing your work and bike on the ADV forum thread. Been wading through that since I got the bike. On about page 200 now with a way to go!