Yet Another Marlboro Replica!
#1
Ive been getting ideas and drawing inspiration from this forum for a couple of months now so thought Id better start a thread of my own to show you the results so far.

I first saw the Marlboro DRZ on an old Duke video, Drive to Survive which reviewed the 87, 88 and 89 Dakar rallies and loved it! Over the interim years Ive had various MX bikes, a couple of Nordwests and a few enduro bikes including an 84 Yamaha IT200 which I bought as a pile of bits for £150 and spent the next 6 months restoring back to original condition. Having forgotten about the DRZ over those years I came across a pic of the bike and fell in love again, so spent a few weeks trawling ebay looking for a suitable DR750 to get me started. Found an 89 SR41A non runner which looked rough but was the right money so stuck a bid on and won it for £200 less than I bid! After a 500 mile round trip I was 400 quid lighter and had a pretty sorry looking bike sat in the back of the van! The guy had had it in his barn for two years and never had it running so I wasnt too hopeful when I stuck a battery on it and put some fresh juice in. No joy on the starter button but after bypassing the starter solenoid she spun over and fired into life! Think that was more down to the build quality of the engine than any mechanical skill on my part but I was chuffed either way.

So once I knew she was a runner I started the strip down. The more I stripped off the more I wondered what Id let myself in for but in for a penny, an all that!


Attached File(s) Image(s)
   
Reply
#2
Will post some more pics up in a bit, need to reduce file sizes.

PS. Thats her good side!
Reply
#3
Bargain Thumbup
Reply
#4
Few more pics of the strip down.


Attached File(s) Image(s)
           
Reply
#5
keep the pics coming :wtf:
Reply
#6
One week after the strip down and £120 later this is what she looked like!


Attached File(s) Image(s)
   
Reply
#7
Once I got the swingarm off I realised Id got the same issue as a few other forum members. The chain had eaten through the underside of the swingarm and into the bearing casing. Got a guy to weld up the hole, powdercoated it and fitted new bearings. I have to say all the bearings were in pretty good nick and if they hadnt had to come out for the powdercoating they would have stayed in. Looks a bit better than it did I reckon! Ive got a DRZ400 swingarm which Id like to fit at some point but that'll have to wait for now.


Attached File(s) Image(s)
           
Reply
#8
very nice mate :clap:
Reply
#9
The oil cooler just got a clean up with wire wool and brake cleaner then got a couple of coats of satin hammerite and the grill was shot blasted and powdercoated. Total cost of about £10!


Attached File(s) Image(s)
           
Reply
#10
Cheers Rik.

Wasnt sure what to do about the engine as I didnt fancy completely stripping it as I knew it ran ok and only shows 36000kms on clock. A mate of mine had just sent one away for vapour blasting and it came back like new so I decided to give that a go. I have to say I was gobsmacked when I saw the result! The guy said it was a nightmare to do as there was still a lot of original blue paint underneath silver. Took about 3 tins of nitromors and several times through the vapour blaster before he was happy with it.


Attached File(s) Image(s)
           
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)